Saturday, November 13, 2010

Chicken and Tomatillo Tacos

I know it's been awhile since I've posted. Turns out I had a baby and moved to a new city and apparently those events take up quite a bit of time. =) But, after the meals stopped coming and filling our freezer, I had to start cooking again and seriously...I missed it!! I'm realizing little tricks that make certain meals easier, and when the baby is down for a nap in the afternoon, I can make dinner and just reheat it. Which is what I did for this tasty dish. So easy and so tasty. It might become a taco tuesday staple in the Benson house. Here's what you need:

6 Tomatillos (blackened on the grill)
1 Serano (blackened on grill)
Olive Oil
1/2 red onion
2 cloves of garlic
1 cup chopped cilantro
1 lime (juiced)
2 Tbsp Honey
1 1/2 cups shredded chicken
corn torillas
queso fresco

Okay, here's the thing. I did not make this according to the directions, mainly because I was not about to fire up the grill by myself just to blacken these little peppers. I tried to do it over the stove top and it was a sight for sore eyes...kept dropping the peppers, ect. Anyways...all that to say, I'm sure it would have been lovely all blackened and toasty, but I didn't make it like that and it still turned out delish. So...best of luck to you whichever road you go down. For the shredded chicken, I just put it in a crockpot all day and shred it, but you could easily buy a rotisserie chicken and go from there. AND, not spicy enough for us. I'm going to add a jalapeno to the mix next time to kick it up a notch.

1) Put tomatillos, serrano, onion, garlic, cilantro, lime juice, and honey in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
2)Pour mixture into a medium sized pan and add chicken, heating it through. AND, you're done!
See how you could leave the salsa in the fridge all afternoon and not heat it until it's time for dinner? Loved it.

How easy is that?? Put it on some corn tortillas and add the queso fresco. (Don't leave this out, it's sooo good!) Top with some extra cilantro or lime juice if you want.

And, perhaps a nice margarita would finish the deal? =) Happy Cooking!

3 comments:

  1. I love seeing the recipes AND the pics. More, more. What do you cook the chicken with in the crockpot to get it to shred? I need easier meals like this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I put in the crockpot on low for 4-6 hours and put a little chicken broth or water in the bottom and it shreds right up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heidi! You little chef! I didn't know you had a blog! This looks delicious! Enjoy your baby!

    ReplyDelete