Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Gourmet Mac 'n' Cheese


Today's recipe is courtesy of my dear friend Sweet Jules. We often swap recipes, which works out great for both of us. I made a couple changes though Jule, just so you know. ;) I've been wanting to try this dish forever, since I'm a true lover of all things mac 'n' cheese, and it did not let me down! Side note before you start, prep everything first!!! I did not do this, and it was pure chaos in my kitchen and not a pretty sight to behold. So, I'll try to lay it out how I wish I had prepped for it. =) Aside from the bacon and tomatoes, this was the original recipe I received. When I made it, I added a little more of everything to make a slightly larger dish. I wasn't exact in my measurements and it turned out great. I don't know how you go wrong with these delicious cheeses. I hope it works for you! Happy Cooking!

4 Tbsp butter
5 pieces of bacon, crumbled
2 small tomatoes, sliced
1 cup panko bread crumbs
2 3/4 cups whole milk (I used 2%)
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/16 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
2 1/4 cups of cheese mix (I used mild cheddar and jack)
1 cup gruyere, grated
1/2 cup gouda, grated
1/2 lb elbow macaroni

Preheat oven to 375 and butter a casserole dish and set aside. Then...grate all your cheeses! Set aside in one bowl 1 1/2 cups of cheddar mix, 3/4 cup gruyere and 1/4 cup of the gouda. In another bowl keep the remaining cheeses. Prepare dry ingredients salt, pepper, nutmeg, and cayenne and set these all aside in a small bowl. Then melt 1 Tbsp of butter, toss with the bread crumbs and set aside. Cook bacon, set aside to cool, once cooled, crumble it up! Start boiling water for your macaroni and cook it according to package directions. While that is cooking, heat milk in microwave for 3 minutes. In a large saucepan melt 3 Tbsp of butter. When that bubbles, add flour and cook for one minute. Slowly add mik to butter/flour mixture, whisking constantly until mixture bubbles and becomes thick. Remove from heat and stir in the salt, pepper, nutmeg, and cayenne. Then add the larger cheese mixture and crumbled bacon. Stir until well mixed and set aside. (Taste it at this point, if it needs a little extra salt or pepper don't be afraid to doctor it up to suit your taste buds!) Add cheese sauce to the macaroni and transfer to casserole dish. Top with remaining cheeses, sliced tomatoes and panko bread crumb mixture. Bake until brown on top about 20-30 minutes and enjoy! It was sooooo tasty!

1 comment:

  1. Adding bacon is NEVER a bad idea sweet hides, it looks delicious and i'm so glad you loved it :) p.s. yes prepping everything beforehand is key... i forgot to mention that part!

    ReplyDelete