Sunday, August 8, 2010

Mexican Lasagna

Tonight we made Mexican Lasagna. Consensus was that it was a tasty dish for sure, and we would make it again. There was so much leftover which is handy for my lunches this week! It took roughly 15 minutes to prepare and 15 minutes to bake. You will need the following:

1 1/2 lbs ground turkey (beef or chicken)
1/2 chopped onion
1 can corn
1 can black beans
1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes
2 Tbsp chili powder
2 tsp cumin
corn tortillas
salt to taste
2 1/2 cups shredded mexican cheese
2 green onions
Evoo

Preheat oven to 400. Heat a large skillet on medium high heat. Add evoo, chopped onion, turkey, cumin and chili powder; brown for 5-7 minutes. Once meat is browned, add beans, tomatoes and corn. At this point, I could tell it wasn't going to be spicy enough for us. Shocker, I know. =) I then added about 2 tsp of Jalapeno Pepper Hot Sauce from Trader Joes. It stepped it up a notch. If I had a small can of jalapenos, I would have added those. Anything to spice it up! In a large baking dish, coat with evoo. Layer tortillas, meat mixture and cheese. Top with diced green onions, bake for 15 minutes. I topped mine with sour cream, but you could really top it with whatever you wanted--guacamole, salsa, crushed tortilla chips for some crunch-- be creative and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I think I'm gonna have to make this one! Yummy and easy...perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete